Sasha - Universe 1992
In my world this is the greatest mixtape ever made. It’s from a rave in 1992 before Sasha became one of the big global superstar DJs. From a time before absurd genre madness - it didn’t matter whether it was techno, house, breakbeat or whatever - as long as it was good. And this tape is full of good.
When you compare the mixing skills here to other rave tapes from the same era it’s head and shoulders above everything else (apart from the bit in the middle where the record runs out completely - but that’s another story).
Also features some of the most entertaining MC’ing ever - normally I’m not a huge fan of MCs but Joe Peng does a great job of keeping it unobtrusive but injecting moments of total rave-comedy.
I have no idea how many times I’ve listened to this mix over the years but it’s way more than any other mixtape. The fact it’s almost 20 years old makes me feel genuinely ancient.
- Mel’isa Morgan ‘Still in Love With You’ (Mel’isa’s in the House Mix)
- Denise Lopez ‘Don’t You Wanna Be Mine’ (Cliviles & Cole Vocal Club Mix)
- Bomb the Bass ‘You See Me in 3D’ (Remix)
- Siedah Garrett ‘K.I.S.S.I.N.G.’ (Accappella)
- That Kid Chris ‘Keep On Pressin On’ (Didn’t I Show You Luv Mix)
- Lil’ Louis Vega ‘Club Lonely’ (Bellbottoms & Platforms Mix)
- Megatonk ‘Belgium’ (Nintendotone Mix)
- Clubland ‘(I’m Under) Love Strain’ (Lost in the Jungle Mix)
- Nush ‘Nush’ (Original Mix)
- Rhythm Quest ‘Closer To All Your Dreams’ (Hybrid Remix)
- M17 ‘Rockin Down the House’ (Chop Mix)
- Dice Man ‘Quad’ (Spooky’s Magi Mix)
- Leftfield ‘Release the Pressure’ (Orig Dub)
- Deep Beats Vol.1 ‘Code Red’
- Degrees Of Motion ‘Shine On’ (Junior Style Dub Mix)
- Pamela Fernandez ‘kicking in the Beat’ (AIM Dub)
- Snap ‘Do you see the Light’
- Brothers Love Dubs ‘The Mighty Ming!’
- Maarten Van Der Vleuten ‘Spanish Fly’
- Jovonn - Out All Nite E.P (Vol. 2) ‘Let Me Hear Ya Stomp’
- Hashim ‘Al Naafiysh’
- Mr Clubman ‘Release The Tension’ (Disco Version)
- Sounds Unlimited ‘Uplifting’ \ Rockers Revenge ‘Walkin on Sunshine’ (Acca)
- Marascia ‘For The Music’
- Shalamar ‘Take That to the Bank’
- Sheer Bronze ‘Walking On’
- Fargetta ‘Music is Movin’ (Bam Bam Tribal Mix)
- Nitro Deluxe ‘Brutal House’ (Greed DMC Mix)
- Jules and Skins - Rushing Roulette EP ‘Ethnic Groove’
Thanks to Mr Vinyl for the Tracklist
If you check around you’ll see just what a massive impact this mix has had on so many people. The discussions around what happened when the track runs out and the MC proclaims “scratchy scratchy, nobody watchy” to the fanboys desperate to trace every last track.
Perhaps the most extreme example of love for this mix is these guys putting on a night in Bristol where they recreated the mix live in its entirety, and even hired Joe Peng to come and MC with them. Now that’s dedication. Check it out on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/bendaley/birthday-dj-sashas-joe-peng
And if you’ve ever seen me wandering around in this t-shirt. Once you’ve listened to this mix you’ll know why.
From a range of tees that feature classic MC slogans, available here.